Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The best of HFM

Whenever I am asked which is my favorite song or movie or artist, I really don't find an answer. But when I recently saw the song from Umrao Jaan, 'dil cheez kya hai...', I realized that I had been ignoring one of the best works of art in the Indian film industry. I liked the song always, but for the first time really appreciated it now.
First, it has the most amazing shaayari by Shahryar. Words sound magical when they come heading towards the expected, but just at the climax, beat around what was imagined and hit you right at the heart. Then the poetry is composed into mousiqee by Khaiyyam. The notes are blended perfectly with the lyrics. A suspicious descent, a brief pause when the listener imagines and then a sudden joyous revelation that completes the line and leaves one dazzled. Perfect timing of the sarangi. Flawless singing! Asha Bhosle has lived all her songs and this is no exception.
What really amazed me was the way it has been performed by Rekha. Mostly we see actors expressing the lyrics of a song. But in 'dil cheez kya hai...' one can see Rekha expressing the song in its entirety, as if she is singing live. She is aware of each and every note, she knows the meaning of every word and she actually means it. And the dance simply goes with the rhythm of the song.
The whole song has a certain mathematical perfection to it. And thats why its so beautiful. I appreciated for the first time the thorough understanding of an artist by another.
I am really proud of the quality art Indian cinema has created from time to time. Its the legendry works like these that all generations would turn to, to feel the beauty of creativity.

click here and enter a search on the left for dil cheez kya hai to listen to the song...











2 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 09, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

Hi. Considering my flawless knowledge on hindi films, i think i may not have heard this particular song in question. And needless to mention i don't think I've even seen the video. So me leaving a comment here related to your post would be stupid as i cannot agree or disagree with the content. (P.s. get the song on your cell and lemme hear it in college- i'm curious to find out what i'm missing)

 
At Thursday, November 10, 2005, Blogger spriha said...

Hey Shiv, I really can't make u understand what u r missing out on by making u listen to a song (considering ur flawless knowledge of bollywood n realated feilds) but I sure can keep the spam comment above for u to use.
u r welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home