Thursday, November 03, 2005

Life of the Rich and Famous

He bought a million dollar house when he was seventeen. Two years later, he bought a house for 8.3 million dollars. He owns eight cars. He gets the stores closed for the public while he's shopping. This and much more is a part of the life of singer Justin Timberlake.
But that don't impress me much because I know, that there are people who have bought entire islands. Boy! Are they rich!
I was watching VH1 this morning which enhanced my pool (actually, cesspool) of knowledge about the rich and famous.
My 3BHK terrace apartment looked like a dump in front of Justin's tour bus.
There is a part of my brain that keeps imagining ahead of my thoughts. While I was watching, I suddenly imagined Mr. Timberlake sitting next to me on the couch, watching TV on a lazy morning. What would he feel like to be here, at my place? And then as I was staring at him in wonder, my eyes suddenly caught a glimpse of his @$$. (I didn't keep looking as I don't find him particularly handsome.) Next thought, Mr. Timberlake, you sure own a lot of real estate, but your @$$ hardly occupies more space than mine! (Of course, some people are poor even in that area. Ref: Dnyanesh's most recent write-up.)
Okay, don't judge the direction of my thoughts as yet. But before elaborating, I'd like to mention one more random thought. Now, he is a pop icon. Millions of people listen to his music. If someone could manage to extract one dollar each from one million people, then he can surely buy a big house like him. Of course, Justin has earned it. But when you think of it, he got a share of his money from the disc that I have in my collection. I don't know why, but the thought is amusing.
Anyways, so I was talking about...no lets not get there again. My point was, he too is a human being like me. My fellow Homo sapiens.
So what is it that really makes me different from the rich and the famous. Well, to begin with, I am not rich or famous. But, what is 'it' in essence? They can buy whatever they like without thinking twice. They can go wherever they want. But no. I refuse to accept. Thats not 'it' really. They can have toilet seats of gold! Wow! Must feel really cold!
Toilet seats of gold, do they really feel different? Can they really make someone feel rich and famous while using it?
Oh! So 'this' is what I was looking for. (Again, don't be quick to imagine!)
They can do whatever they want to fill up their senses. Yes, it all comes down to sensory gratification. To feel good!
Next thought, can making yourself feel in a certain way really be your purpose? Of course, its everyone's purpose to be happy. But can that be ever categorized as something achievable? Happiness comes our ways and it only depends on our capacities to recognize it.
Or was I thinking I would be filled with joy when I saw a child smile at me so joyously, flashing his only pair of incisors? Am I actually making efforts to be happy before I know I can smell the rain? Did I know how heavenly it feels when a newborn gently grasps my little finger? Did I know how peaceful it would be before I sat by the side of the sea listening to it? Did I dream of the butterfly before its beautiful colours held my sight? Did I anticipate the smile on my mother's face when she saw me enjoying her new recipe? Did I plan out before rolling on the grass that this is the day's plan to be happy? Or before lying on my back in the field and trying to see as far as possible, beyond the skies?
No, I didn't know that its so beautiful to see the moon on a cloudy night. Or to see the clouds crowning lush green mountains. I did not know that watching the documentary on sub-atomic particles on discovery or the one on rehabilitation of orphaned cubs on animal planet is going to make me happy. I didn't know before reading Dan Brown that it would be so interesting.
I wasn't really hunting for happiness when my friend greeted me with the most genuine smile ever. But it made me happy.
My senses have been filled up from time to time and I've only taken notice of it when I saw myself smile in the mirror. Happiness is not something you chase. Its something that walks along with you, perhaps within you, all the way to your goal.
I don't call these as simple pleasures of life. I think owning an island too is simple if you are capable of it. Simple varies with the subject. These pleasures have never been the purpose of my life. I dream and I dream big. I want to reach for the stars. But I welcome life with open arms. I want to take everything it gives to me. Be it happiness or pain. My goal is what I've chosen to give it. But when I reach there, I want to be happy already. So that when I look back, I know I've lived my life.
So if you cannot feel more happiness than me Mr. Timberlake, your @$$ can hardly book more space than mine!

8 Comments:

At Thursday, November 03, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

Whoa! what's an @$$? It sounds like an Ass, only richer.

Frankly... This article was toooooooo philosophical for me... I got lost a few times in the paragraphs and had to read it again... but the basic gist was nice - that famous people have the same @$$ size as the non-famous.. I did get the feeling once that John Travolta's @$$ resembled mine a bit.. As for the article, I think you should have thrown in a few more one-liners and jokes to make it easier reading...

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005, Blogger spriha said...

sorry if it was too much for your intellect. No, actually i think I wrote this thing before my thoughts were really mature.
and how do u know how John Travolta's @$$ looks like? Now m developing doubts on u know what!(it has been discussed on ur blog alot already)

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

Johns Travolta's ass is abundantly visible in his tights throughout the movie Grease.

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goal is what I have chosen to give it... nice thought. and u r rite the journey is more rewardin than the reward. ie. they journey gives u more happiness thn the goal itself . so wen u reach thr u'll be happy alredy.

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2005, Blogger spriha said...

Thanks for understanding the theme Meghan, unlike some 'butt'heads.

 
At Sunday, November 06, 2005, Blogger Radgovin said...

Hi. Nice article, but try changing the font colour to make it easier reading for the visitors!

As regards the indoor pollutants, they are formaldehyde (from wooden varnishes, foam products, etc.), Zillions (well, actually thousands) of pollutants from tobacco smoke, ammonia from various sources (you will know about this, you are a med!), lead and even radon! And then there are the Respirable Particulate Matter, about which you keep hearing about in the papers.

 
At Sunday, November 06, 2005, Blogger spriha said...

Thanks for the info. Radon? Where is radon?

 
At Monday, November 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the secret is to live in the moment and to love it. So when you look back you'll realise that each of those moments (whether happy or sad) have contributed in making you the happy person that you will be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home