Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My first hit!

I was driving after about a year and a half. My friend's apprehension was understandable. I was in the process of telling her that mobile phones are a cause of road-accidents even when pedestrians use them; in the process because my speech-function slows down considerably while I am driving, when a man crossing his fore-fathers' road (thats what he made it seem like) stopped in a bit of surprise right in front of my car. Well, I braked. But all my descending tract fibers were consumed in pushing the brake and so the car stopped after jerking several times in third gear. Anyways, I started the engine and my friend said, "Use the horn." I heard her but was too consumed in I dunno what. Slowly I proceeded to park ahead. Honked a couple of times but not enough number of times. It felt like a tap on the side, but my friend was saying, "Why don't you use the horn? You just hit a man!" She deserves all the credit for saying it ever-so-calmly to me! I was like, really?
"If things are falling from your hand then you are highly distracted Spriha!" I re-adjusted the bowl of infiltration fluid at the head end of the operating-table. Some fluid had spelled out moments ago.I thought to myself, ' Of course I am. These kids are standing so close to me that they brush against me now and then. Don't they realize I'm washed up?' " I am sorry sir." I said aloud. "Please try not to touch me or the table." I requested the students bent over the patient, trying to take a glimpse of whats going on inside his left nostril! I was assisting a septoplasty. The houseman had my full attention once he pointed out that I was indeed distracted.
"Must have hit his bag...", I said, expecting her to give me a 'may be'. "No. You brushed his arm. But it was very slow. Don't worry...", said she, helping me chill and at the same time telling me to be more careful.
I dropped her and reached home. The compound gate was shut so I started honking to wake up the watchman. After a few minutes, I decided I couldn't bear the noise so I started off to open the gate myself when he magically appeared. I went back inside and started the engine. He opened the right gate inside and the left one outside. There's just enough space for a car to pass through the gate and of course, there's the upward slope. Its this slope that kept me inhibited for a year and a half. I was never sure I could drive my Santro up it. But turns out that its quite easy. I had advanced half of the vehicle inside the gate when I saw the right gate, that was opened inside, closing on me! I realized in a jiffy...
'Oh shit!' I saw the pool of blood collected in an indentation on the drape. The source of the blood was a severely battered head with countless CLW's currently being sutured by the trauma resident. I was holding it and I couldn't move. I saw the pool growing in quantity every second. The drape was under the head (obviously) and since it was put there loosely, blood had collected in the space between the trolley and its handle. My feet were directly below the two pints of life-fluid and I knew I couldn't shift at all! The surgeon was mumbling ," When a mass casualty comes, everyone gets busy with that. No one cares for other patients, cuz they won't be newspaper headlines. No one even bothered to shave this lady's head when she arrived. Now see, she's bled so much!" I had to hold the head strongly for there was still some life remaining, only the last flame of instinct to withdraw whatever was touched. And then I saw the drape beginning to give way. I knew there was nothing that I could do. And the next moment, all the collected blood splashed on the floor and my feet! Thanks to my skids, I didn't come in direct blood-contact, but it was bad.
In order to avoid the gate I turned left, but I knew there was nothing I could do. So I let it hit the side of the car. Surprisingly, it wasn't too hard. Fortunately, no damage was done. The watchman clarified that it was the wind and I let it go, for there actually was nothing more to it.
And then I don't know what happened. I drove half the circumference of my building to park at our usual place. And just when I was supposed to stop the car, I hit the accelerator! Bumped into the curved boundary wall ahead. Got away with few scratches on the bumper on one side. Where was my concentration???
I sincerely wish that there never would be an analogy to this one! Gotta find some white paint...

PS: I really think that its bad manners to push aside or brush against people to have a better view in an OT. Especially touching a washed-up person. Its leaves the surgeon unsterile and distracted. I think a better way to learn is to politely ask the operators to show it to you. Please be careful, students.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 20, 2006, Blogger Shiva said...

Ok, let me try to get this: Have u tried to give 2 analogies and cover up the fact that u are a terrible driver..? :)

Sure, nice attempt though to try and compare the similarities between such dissimilar things, but i don't think that the analogy would be easily appreciable..

But i admit- nice way to take attention off your driving skills...

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006, Blogger spriha said...

OK 1st, m not a terrible driver. u can ask my sweet friend.
And 2nd, its my states of mind that i have tried to compare and not the situations. Thats not hard to get I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home