Sunday, September 10, 2006

Unkind kindness

If there's one sentence form my school text-books that perturbs my conscious mind from time to time, it is, man is a social animal.
He is, no doubt. Man seeks others of his kind. My co-intern and ever-ready-for-a-philosophical-discussion-pal Rachana was quoting this idea from a book called 'The art of Loving'. (That might be shocking to some people who know her, but the title of the book is misleading, so chill guys. There's nothing wrong with her yet!) Its like, man, due to his superior intelligence has long since stopped feeling one with nature. He isn't simply happy with himself like other animals. So he seeks other humans who agree with him to agree with. It helps him feel accepted.
That makes perfect sense. Once we are done with the struggle to survive, we need a meaning to live. And most of our feeling of worth comes from other people's sanction of our being. And sometimes from their disapproval.
The fact of the matter is, man is a social animal. People matter. Our groups matter. We feel secure in a group. We like to work in a group, of course, with our kind of group. And the kind changes with the purpose.
So when Arjun Singh gets mischievous, open-category people unite to shout slogans against him and others against the open-category people. And when the police lathi-charges medics, all anti and pro people shout slogans against the police. The cause changed and so did the group. On a smaller scale, at least once in a year small groups shout GMCites and parasites slogans too drooling, enjoying a 'fashion show'! Of course, they shout in unison later in Aazad maidan.
And there is nothing wrong with it. So if you are Italian, you had full rights to celebrate when the French-head lost it. And if you are French then of course the Italian should have minded his language.
But since I am neither, I know it was poor sportsmanship on the part of the Italian and sheer foolishness on the part of the French. What gives me this neutral point of view is my independent judgment. Its my ability to see the truth without any bias. And this is the clearest view and therefore, the best.
Everything that exists exists because it is perceived by us. It may be perceived by our senses or imagination, but it is. I mean, we cannot imagine a color we can't imagine. But we know existence is wider than this because I actually wrote the above sentence!
The point that I am trying to make is, perhaps its impossible for us to know the truth completely but we can nevertheless get quite close to it if we want to.
There is always one truth value in reality. If there is an idea you want to evaluate, break it into its minutest components. Then assign each component its truth value, T or F. Now again go through the algorithm and see if you can reach the final idea. In essense, now it will be true or false. It cannot be anything in between. Or simply as Ayn Rand says it, A is A. Its pure mathematics. Its logic.
Groupism blunts the bluntness of logic. A group has rules and if you are a part of it, you have to follow them even if they are irrational. An individual's sense of judgment should not depend on his fellows' views. A group's point of view can distort the truth. It can blind a person's perception due to its sheer strength. And in a world where boredom and loneliness are more abundant than fresh air, being a part of a group that can have an impact sounds like a brilliant idea. We want to be on the side of everyone even if we are standing against truth. We want to be a part of a strong group and not a weak individual.
To live upto our admirations is one thing and to copy someone else to escape what we don't like in ourselves is another. We lose originality. We get lost in them. And its almost futile to try to escape the truth about self for it never leaves you. Whatever they may say, A is A.
This group-attitude also forces you to stereotype people. You tend to generalize everything and everyone which is the most impractical thing to do.
All you need to hear is that its okay to be you. But you don't need someone to really say that because its true. So accept yourself. Make amendments that you want to. Celebrate what you think are your virtues. And most of all think clearly.
My tone has become direct now. There's something wrong with me. I intended to say something else when I started typing. Now I can't remember what! But while I am saying, I am an individual conscience. I have no religion or nationality, except for general convenience. I do what my mind says is right and my heart says is fun. I make myself look like a fool entirely at my own risk. I love what I love for what it is and I wish to be loved so. I am always open to criticism and even more so to praises but its me who ultimately will judge myself!

3 Comments:

At Sunday, September 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

spriha...you hv proved it...really,this time...



would you help me out finding rachana...


n you carry on with ur narcissism...

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006, Blogger Shiva said...

So U are back to typical Sprihaish Articles which i have to read twice to fully understand....well, after reading twice - good one!

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@shivanand: u read it only twice to understand? i don't believe it.. i had to read it 5 times & after that i left it coz my head started spinning :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home